Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Perak Sultan Birthday's Solo Ride

Sitiawan - Lumut - Kg Baru - Spg Lima - Sitiawan (55km)

It was raining the night before and i was doubting to go for a ride on 19th April 2009.

I woke up at 6.45am and finally decided to go for a solo ride as most of other riders went for holiday. With no aim on which route to go, i decided to cycle around Manjung. I gear up and ready to ride at 7.10am.

My tires roll out on the road as soon as 7.15am and i decided to climb Bukit Maju in Lumut. As i warming up at the average speed of 28km/h, i feel my legs muscle burning up. Soon i was doing 30km/h all the way to Lumut town. As i do a big loop in Lumut town, i felt tired and decided to slow down just before the hill. It was a strong headwind all the way to Lumut town.

As i climb Bukit Maju in Lumut, i was doing 10-11km/h only using the smallest gearing 39x23 all the way up. My heartrate pump to 195bpm and soon i think i'm gonna blackout. Anyway, i manage to struggle and reach the top.

After Lumut town, i cycle back to Venice of Perak and headed to Tengku Bainun (Sg Dindings) bridge. I was tired and i'm only doing 26-27km/h regardless of headwind or tailwind. The sky turns dark filling up with black clouds and soon i know its gonna rain heavily.

As i climb Tengku Bainun bridge and make a U-Turn at the top of the bridge, the rain started with the wind blowing strongly. I make a turn into Kg Baru and maintain the rhythm to complete the whole journey. I continue cycling under the rain and i was doing 26km/h only. Soon i was left nothing dry with my jersey, shorts, bike, water bottle fill with rainwater and i guess my bike now weight more than 10kg.

I go on and the rain stops upon reaching Sg Wangi. With no energy, i go on and push myself through Spg Lima, Spg Tiga and Spg Dua. With nothing left in my both legs, i only manage to maintain 25km/h and hoping i'll make it back home without fainting.

The rain started again when i reach Spg Dua, my leg muscle started to get numb and cramp. I stand and sit several times while strecthing as much as possible. When i reach Sitiawan junction and check my cyclometer, i was doing exactly 2 hours for 56km only, averaging 27.9km/h for the whole journey.

It was a extremely tired day for me and i slept the whole evening. Now i discover how hard it is to tackle the wind, the journey, the distance, the pressure, the feeling all by yourself. Probably i'll just hang my bike back on the wall and retired...hahaha!

No comments: