Tuesday, June 16, 2009

JANAMAJUNG FELLOWSHIP RIDE 2009 Report

It was the day everyone was waiting, the JAMANANJUNG FELLOWSHIP RIDE 2009. The route will takes us through Ayer Tawar, Bota, Parit, Beruas and back here at Manjung Power Station in Teluk Rubiah (Start/Finish line). Total distance coverage 133km.

It was heavy rain in the morning at 3am on the day the event held. As the rain stop at 5am, i begin to gear up, placing my bike into Yong's car and i'm very sure today its gonna be a very hot sunny day.

As i reach at the starting line at 7.00am, there is a lot of ppl unloading their bikes and begin to warm up. Without any time waste, i quickly change and fueling up my water bottle and ride to the start line. I can see lots of familiar faces (most of them been riding on JMFR 2008)

7.30am flag off and around 170 riders begins their journey that might take around 5 hours to complete. As we passes Sri Manjung, everyone was riding strong and soon once the peloton went through open road, they already picking up speed and hitting 40km/h. My god, race speed...are we in the race? i thought its a fellowship ride. As the police patrol car opening up the road 500m ahead of us, the font pack is pulling fast. I was doing 40km/h and hit 43km/h in certain area to avoid dropping at the back. Slower riders splitting up from the peloton right after Sg.Wangi and 140-150 riders still in the peloton.

Within 1 hour, we already approaching Bota town, our left turn that will lead us to Parit (our first stop wattering station). From the main road into narrow kampung road, the speed seems doesnt decrease. The peloton is maintaining at 38km/h-40km/h all the way. Everyone seems to enjoy the fast ride and riding hard to avoid dropping off from the group.

9.15am Parit town. We arrived safely and begin to refuelling our water bottle. We rested for more than 1 hour while waiting for others slow riders to come in. I saw a few bikes its already up on the "sweeper" lorry, probably tire puncture or body "pancit" already.

10.20am The ride continuous passing by Tanjung Belanja and soon the rolling hills begin. I was amazed with the speed of the peloton that approaching 45km/h. With some help from the tailwinds, the group split to small portion with lots of riders dropping from the front group.

I was struggling to keep up and soon I bonk just after the 2nd climb right after the Manong intersection. I was join by the rear group with 5-6 riders forming up a small one line group closing the gap with the front peloton. I lead most of the way with the help from only 1 rider…only 1 rider rotating with me. The others were staying at the back hiding from the headwind that started to become stronger and stronger.

I managed to sustain till Beruas town, where there is a waterstation. I didn’t stop instead picking up a 100 plus tin can to refill my energy. I guess my stomach is too empty that I couldn’t recover on time. My body shutting down and I couldn’t maintain my pedaling. I was struggling all the way alone from Beruas town till Kg Banjar (our final stop for regrouping)

As I reach the final pitstop, there is a lot of riders resting and ready to roll till the finish line in Janamanjung Teluk Rubiah. 15mins passes, MKH team rolling out and soon everyone is back on the road with the police patrol car is opening the road. In less than 5 mins, the speed increases till 40km/h and I have use all my remaining energy to maintain in the bunch. As we come out from the Beruas-Ayer Tawar intersection, the peloton begins their sprints and I have difficulty following the bunch. As the speed increase to 45km/h, i bonked for the 2nd time and these time I’m no near to recover.

I was riding alone and everyone is passing by my side. As I passes Ayer Tawar town, I was joined by Kwong Yew and together we waited for Kong Hing. Azhar’s leg cramp and we stop to help him out in Ayer Tawar town. As soon he recover, we ride on and I was practically out of energy. I was riding 20-22km/h all the way till the finish line. I was alone since Sg.Wangi and the weather is really hot.

I struggle all the way back to the start/finish and I finally arrived at 1.30pm. My total riding time is 4h 45mins. Total average is 28km/h. I was very happy that I managed to complete a total of 133km another ride organize by our local Jamanjung Teluk Rubiah.

Congratulate and many many thanks to our organizer Janamajung Power Plant and others co-sponsor. Also thanks for Zaki, our strong man that behind this event to make another great ride this year.

Will be joining again next year!

NOTE : JMFR2009 should be more accurate as JANAMANJUNG FELLOWSHIP R.A.C.E 2009.

No comments: