Monday, July 7, 2008

IPOH INTERNATIONAL RUN 2008

ITS HERE! ITS HERE!

After a long wait, its finally here. This is my first time joining the IPOH INTERNATIONAL RUN 2008. 10km it’s the distance I’m gonna do it for thi s year. I registered myself early June to book my placing in this event.

Before the event, I was training almost everyday, 5km – 8km in distance. The last 10km non-stop run I did was last year on the Powerman event which I was in walking pace for the last 4km.

Can I do it this year? I don’t know.

On Saturday, the night before the big event, I was gearing up all my necessary clothing, power bar, isotonic drinks and travel down to Ipoh for a stay.
July 6


Sunday. I couldn’t sleep well, probably too excited for the event and finally woke up as early at 4.30am. Gearing up and getting myself into running attire and begin to travel to Stadium Ipoh for the start/finish area.

There were thousand of participant already warming up and couldn’t wait for the race to start. International participant also can be seen especially from Kenya, Thailand and Africa.
Getting myself into registration area and registered myself on the 10km run.


5.30AM
I begin to warm up with Kheong (Pangkor), stretching my legs muscle and consume myself a bottle of 100plus. Being too excited before the race begin, I make my way twice to the washroom.


6.50AM
All participant for 21km and 10km Men’s Open, Woman’s Open, Veteran categories were call to the start line before the gun blow’s off exactly on 7am.


7.00AM
BOMB! The gun fires and the race start. I was in the middle of the pack and begin to push the front row to move. It took me about 2 minutes to free myself from the heavily pack after 300m into the race.


I begin to push myself hard and my heart rate monitor begin to sound when I hit 1km mark. I was worried and begin to slow down the pace. Lots of runners passes me by my side (right and left) and I begin to drop to the back.

I keep on running on my pace and hoping to complete the whole 10km without walking. I go on and on and somewhere in 4km mark, I begin to realize there is lots of others runner slowing down and drop to walking pace.

I can feel my leg is still strong and I begin to push myself again. Passes the Ipoh Parade roundabout, I feel great and carry on to move forward, overtaking one runner and on runner.
Water Station ahead but I did not manage to grab any cause there is too many participant queuing up for it. Instead of stopping and take turn to grab the drinks, I go on without looking back.


I was not told about the route and decided to keep my normal pace before pushing myself all out for the last 2-3km.

On the first turn back to the Stadium Ipoh, there is a sign showing “6KM”. I was surprise with the time I did till 6KM sign, I shouldn’t be that slow. I was actually mistakenly thought it a was 6KM to go but it suppose to be mean that I’m already at 6KM point.

Without blowing myself all out, I keep on running and pass the Polo Ground area.

Another water station ahead, but instead of giving out water, they giving you sponge with water to cool down. I grab 2 sponge and drain myself with the cold water on my neck, hand and thigh.
On the Army area roundabout, I saw the 5KM and 7KM distance runners joining with us and I realize that the finish line will not be that far anymore.


I push myself hard and started to make my way to as front as possible. With the runners from 5KM and 7KM distance joining my route, its sometimes impossible to passes them as most of them were walking, talking on the phone. There is a few times I have to budge into them to go through.

There is another water station ahead but with less than 2KM to finish line, forget about the water, I’m aiming for the finish line.

I go all out and my heart rate boost up to 200 per minute causing me almost black out for a second. I crosses the finish line at the time of 1hour and 9mins beating the time limit of 1hour 20mins.

I was extremely happy that I did it my actual first 10km in a race within time limit.
It was a hard day but its worth it. 13000 participant from all around the world joining this Ipoh International Run 2008 for 21km, 10km, 7km and 5km distance.


Joining again next year? That’s for sure!

No comments: